Sunday 29 May 2011

Campbell's Catch

After an exceptionally turbulent week both at work and on the family front I was very happy to be the recipient of a picture message to my mobile on Friday evening of my friend Chris with his first brownie from the River Wharfe caught on a nymph that was fished upstream.



I am really pleased for Chris as I have put a lot of time and effort into teaching him how to cast from the bank onto swollen waters in the weeks leading up to the new trout season. Progress was a bit limited to start off with as Chris didn’t have his own rod to use save for the loan of my own, but we finally managed to get him sorted out in April with the Angling for Youth Development outfit that Vision produce through Barrie at Linsley Brothers in Harrogate.

Chris tells me that he thinks the fish in question must have felt quite suicidal to throw itself at the fly in the way in which it did but I’m just happy that he’s not missing anymore flipping takes! I’ll give him his due though as rivers aren’t the easiest of places to learn on for beginners.

The brownie in the photo was returned to the water safely but I've encouraged Chris to do the catch and release part in the river in future wherever possible and not on the bank regardless of whether i'm around or not. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment